We can be opportunists when it comes to getting our paws on tasty treats however there a number of everyday foods which can be dangerous if we eat them! 
It can be tempting to give your dog leftovers or to share your food with them, but what you consider to be tasty and perhaps even nutritious may be extremely dangerous, even poisonous, for us. Here I am going to list 10 food items which should NOT be fed to man's best friend. 
1. Chocolate - I think most humans know chocolate is not good for us but the truth is its poisonous! Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine (dark chocolate has the highest content of this) which is toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure. 
2. Caffeine - Like chocolate, caffeine is a stimulant. We are more sensitive to the effects of caffeine than people. A couple of laps of tea or coffee are unlikely to do any harm, but if your pooch swallows a handful of coffee beans or tea bags they could be in danger. 
3. Onions, garlic's and chives - Eating these vegetables and herbs can cause stomach and gut irritation and potentially lead to red blood cell damage and anemia. The onion family, whether dry, raw or cooked, is particularly toxic to your dog and signs of illness are not always immediate and can occur up to a few days later. 
4. Alcohol - This has a huge impact on dogs even in small doses. The drink not only causes intoxication as it does in you, but it can lead to sickness, diarrhea and even central nervous system damage. 
5. Cooked Bones - Giving us a raw uncooked bone to chew on is great, but please avoid cooked bones at all cost. These can easily splinter and in large quantities cause constipation or at worst, a perforation of the gut which can be fatal. 
6. Macadamia Nuts - Eating macadamia nuts can cause dogs to experience weakness, depression, tremors, vomiting and increased body temperature. These symptoms tend to last for approximately 12 to 48 hours. You must contact your vet if you suspect your dog has consumed macadamia nuts noting the quantity consumed if possible. 
7. Corn on the Cob - This may seem like a healthy off the table treat however it does not digest well in a dog’s stomach. If your dog swallows large chunks of the cob, or even whole, it can cause an intestinal blockage due to its size and shape. Look out for signs of vomiting, loss of appetite or reduced appetite, absence of feces or diarrhea and abdominal discomfort. 
8. Grapes & Raisins - These can be found in many of the foods that you love to eat such as cakes, biscuits and cereals however both grapes and raisins may cause severe liver damage and kidney failure in your dog. Experts agree that there is no “safe” dose of grapes and raisins and you must contact your vet immediately if you believe your dog has eaten them. 
9. Artificial Sweetener called Xylitol - Many sugar free products you buy (including some peanut butters so always check the label before using this as a treat) are often laced with an artificial sweetener called Xylitol. If we digest one of these sweetened foods we can go into hypoglycaemia which is linked to liver failure and blood clotting disorders.  
10. Blue Cheese - While cheese can be fed as a treat to your pooch it should be only be given in small doses. There are some things to remember. Cheese is high in fat, and feeding too much to your dog regularly can cause weight gain and lead to obesity. Even more problematic, it could lead to pancreatitis, a serious and potentially fatal illness in us. However you should keep your dog away from blue cheeses such as Stilton. The fungus used to make these cheeses produces a substance called roquefortine C. This substance can cause vomiting, diarrhea, high temperatures and even seizures. The risk of these symptoms is higher if your dog eats a large amount of cheese. If you notice any of these signs after your dog eats blue cheese, call your vet urgently. 
Please don't stop giving your dog treats as we all like a treat but if you are unsure about the effects if can have on us, it's better to safe than to be sorry. 
Until the next adventure..... 
Love Titch 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

07814 569797 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings